Sunday, November 10, 2013 |

Meatless Meal: Tomato Basil Pasta

I found this recipe on Facebook. I have made it a few times and when you're in a rush or don't know what you feel like eating - this is very quick and easy. I always make sure I have the ingredients on hand.

I can promise you - the taste is restaurant quality!

I like to add some garlic bread and a glass of red wine. If I play some Billy Joel, I feel like I'm back on Long Island eating in my grandparent's kitchen!

Tomato Basil Pasta
12 ounces pasta (I prefer linguine or fettuccine)  
*depending on the thickness of the pasta - you may need to add a little water
1 large can diced tomatoes with the juice 
1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 large sprigs basil, chopped
4 1/2 cups vegetable stock

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan cheese for garnish


*I also add about a pound of Asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces - I like the flavor it adds to the pot. Aldi sells frozen asparagus - so, I always have a couple bags in the freezer.


Directions:
Place pasta, tomatoes, asparagus, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.

Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I leave about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot because the noodles are going to absorb it anyway once it cools.

The starch leaches out of the noodles and makes a rich, warm sauce for the noodles. The other ingredients cook right along with the pasta Ingredients.

No straining, just stirring!

Season to taste with salt and pepper, stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot.

Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.