Sunday, December 3, 2017 |

Green Acres: Chickens and a possum

It was a pretty busy day yesterday so I didn't have time to post this.

About 6 am, Saturday morning - the dogs were going ape shit, so I opened the door and let them out.

The chickens were cackling and Foghorn was doing his battle cry - so I put on my mudders (still in my nightgown) and ran outside with the spotlight.

I got to the coop and there were white feathers everywhere. I could see the netting to cover the one hole we have in the coop was moved. One of the white girls was on the hen house - visibly in shock.

I walked around and flashed the light into the limbs of the tree and saw the possum.... staring at me.

The dogs running outside must have freaked him out and he got out of the coop before I could get out there. Weeshy (the smallest alarm) was in the pasture looking for the culprit. In & Out was on the rabbit hutch - she knew something was going on - she just didn't know where. The other dogs were sniffing around, looking for the possum, too.


*** *** *** *** *** 

Well, I never went and picked out a gun. I did fix it so the chickens were off the ground (the highest perch is about 4 feet off the ground). I guess because it was close to sunrise, the girls were getting their day started and that's how he was able to terrorize them.

I shook the limb. He crawled up in the tree a little higher.

Aboy comes outside, then this...
Me: I need some rocks
Aboy: What for?
Me: I'm going to peg that mother fucker!
Aboy: <disappears>

I come back with a handful of dirt bombs (clay makes a helluva rock) and started throwing them at the possum.

It's early and my aim is totally off. Usually - especially when I'm pissed - I have very accurate aim (ask my kids).

Aboy comes back with a rock the size of a brick. I shine the spotlight on the possum and Aboy launches it. Well, it's early for him too - he miscalculated the trajectory and weight and missed the fucking thing by 4 feet.

Not to be defeated, Aboy picks up a 1" x 2" and tries to spear the possum. Yeah, right.

So, I go back to the garden - looking for more dirt bombs. I got about 10 and went back over to start pegging him. Aboy said "Hold the light" and took the dirt bombs from me. He almost hit the possum on a few throws - because it spooked the possum enough to go higher into the tree.

*** *** *** *** ***

Yesterday we closed up all the entry points on the coop. Today, we will be taking down the limbs that hang over the coop for some additional security.

I tried to avoid getting a rifle... but, it looks like I have no choice. I have to protect my babies.

I am so proud of the dogs & cat. They were out there with us, trooping! They have bought into the family concept too! 

"When one fights, we all fight!"

#FamilyFirst



**This is not the actual possum, although it was about this size. 
All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.