Wednesday, April 1, 2015 |

The Truth about Honesty

Under the thumbnail of my picture for this blog I have a quote:


"Even if you sugarcoat shit... it's still shit"

I believe that; with every ounce of my being. 

By nature I'm a truth seeker. I don't believe the paint is wet, I don't believe shit stinks, I don't believe it's raining... these are things I have to find out for myself. Plus a multitude of other less trivial things that occur in my life. 

It's not that I don't trust people - I just need to know I've gotten the full truth so I can validate the statement. I could save myself some time if I believed people at their word.
Fuck it.

I've actually wanted to compose this post for a while. I've lived a lot of life and lived/visited many places and the truth is - by nature, people don't like the truth. 

I crave the truth.  

Maybe it's because I just don't have time for the bullshit. Maybe it's because I was raised to not trust people. Maybe because the truth will set me free (or reign me in).  

On a personal level, sometimes my honesty is a bit much for those around me. 

I don't see my bluntness as a deterrent. I actually think it offers more credibility to who I am. If I speak on something, I'm not talking out my ass... I've done my research (and probably researched it ad nauseam) so I am knowledgeable and can offer value. 

By speaking the truth, I am not being mean. 

By speaking the truth, I am not being a dick.

By speaking the truth, I am not being a know-it-all.

I think some people have a problem with the truth because it's not their reality. 



Not telling the truth is lying. 
Not hearing the truth is lying to yourself.


*****

Being the parent of adult children, speaking the truth is not always well received. 


The lesson I've taken from that - I don't offer my insight unless it's asked... then I lead it off with - "OK, well you asked - so..."



I taught my kids while they were growing up (and each one of them can recite this verbatim)... 


"The truth hurts once, a lie hurts twice"


*****

And just like I can give it - I can take it! I'd prefer the truth over some bullshit because if you lie to me, it's not only the fact that I can't trust you anymore - it's also the fact that you thought I was stupid and wouldn't figure out you were telling me some bullshit. 

Lying to me and insulting my intelligence are horrible crimes to commit in Terri-Town.






"No legacy is so rich as honesty." 
- William Shakespeare


Be a wealthy person!


All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.