Sunday, January 15, 2012 |

An offer you can't refuse: Coupon Organization

“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success”
~ Alexander Graham Bell

********************* 

I have received a few inquiries on how I organize my coupons – because I’m able to find such great deals while I’m shopping.

It’s easy to have all your coupons matched up (with the sales) and pulled out all ready prior to going to the store (recommended), but what happens when you find a great unadvertised sale or clearance item that you think you have a coupon for?

I am a strong believer in preparation. If you put the work in on the front end, you'll reap the fruits of your labor.

My advice: You should use what makes sense to you.

If you prefer a shoe box, clipping your coupons while you’re in the store, envelopes or ziplock bags… it’s your hobby, you have to do what works for you.

What works for me is binders with clear sleeves and dividers. I also carry a small accordion file – separated by store - to keep my coupons apart while I’m shopping.

Since I carry so much, I’ve converted an old beach bag into my coupon satchel. It works (for me).

 photo 2012-01-15_13-03-26_121_zps97db6345.jpg


My binders have zippers because on (rare) occasion, I’m a klutz. Plus, from throwing them into the back seat, into the coupon bag, pulling them out of the bag, etc… I don’t want anything to fall out – losing it’s place.

I use 2 binders.

1 for Foods (edible) and 1 for Non-Foods (everything else).

 photo 2012-01-06_19-43-35_979_zps56be4032.jpg


I use clear dividers with pockets – and I’ve given them labels like:
  • Hair Care
  • Facial Care
  • Dental Care
  • Women's Supplies
  • Cleaning Products
  • Paper Products
  • Medicine
  • Vitamins/Supplements
  • Canned Goods
  • Dry Goods
  • Snacks
  • Cooler
  • Freezer

I have various size clear sleeves – to hold different sized coupons. I like to be able to see the entire coupon so at a glance I can see if it’s expired, how much I will save, size, etc.


 photo 2012-01-06_19-46-29_436_zps1260381c.jpg

In the front pocket of my binder - I keep printed copies of all the coupon policies for all the stores I shop at.

I was going to alphabetize my coupons – but, with them all viewable, I figured I’d use the time I saved to play on Facebook and write my blog (tee-hee).

******************

My accordion file (which I found on clearance at a craft/hobby store) I have divided by number and then assigned each store a number. I printed out the reference so, I can quickly locate what I need, while I’m in the store

I did this for 2 reasons.

1.      At first, I used zip lock bags (by store) to separate my known deals, but I was finding it hard to stay organized for my finds or separating out the coupons that I had for items that weren’t in stock or weren’t going to work. Now, I just reach into the appropriate file pocket when I get to the register and all the coupons I’m going to use are in one place.

2.      I can store my Store coupons and Store cards in each store’s file pocket – so, everything is together.

 photo 2012-01-06_19-42-33_847_zps0eed9a22.jpg


It’s small enough that I stick it between both binders in my coupon satchel. 

*******************

However you decide to organize your coupons, don’t invest too much money. Couponing is a work in progress and as you figure out what you’re doing, you’ll find deals to help you organize!





All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.