Thursday, December 8, 2011 |

The two seasons in Texas

My perception of Texas was a lie! Prior to moving here in August 2009, I pictured the weather to be like South Florida, warm in the winter, hot in the summer – yeah, yeah…not quite. Texas has 2 seasons, “Hot” & “Cold”. During “Hot”, it doesn’t get much lower than the mid 80’s. During “Cold” it doesn’t go much higher than the low 50’s. What’s crazy about the whole deal…“Hot” & “Cold” can happen in the same week.

As New Yorkers, we have a ritual. During the spring, we begin to put away our winter clothes and bring out the summer stuff. Then in the fall, we reverse the process and put away the summer clothes and bring out the jackets and warm clothes. Not in Texas! Nope, we just leave it all accessible because you never know when you’ll need a short sleeve shirt or a sweatshirt. Generally during the heart of “Hot”, you don’t need anything warm to wear (unless you work in an office building – because they have the A/C set on Arctic) – but during “Cold”, you may need some shorts and t-shirts available, because you never know when you’ll get hit with an 85+ degree day in January or February.

You can never put your sandals away. You always need a jacket handy. I’m surprised more people don’t get sick with all the changes in the weather. I think what’s most unfortunate… when the houses were constructed here – there wasn’t much thought given to the size of the closets. Considering you have to keep your entire wardrobe available – you’d think they’d have more closet space – not unless Texans normally don’t have 30 pairs of shoes, shirts for everyday of the month and pants to match. No, I’m not a hoarder!

So, right now – we’re in “Cold” - and Baby, its COLD outside! The night before last it got down into the teens. That’s too cold in my book! I’ve added an extra blanket to the bed and layers of clothes make me feel like a stuffed animal. It’s not frigid outside – because it’s clear and there’s not much wind, but it’s too cold for me! The wind can make all the difference in the world too. I’ve never in my life experienced such bitter, chilled to the bone, whipping wind. Some of the natives said it’s so cold because it’s coming off the plains. I don’t know WTF causes it – but that shit is no joke! I know I sound like a punk – coming from NY, but until you experience it… I can’t put any words together to help you understand what it feels like!

So, I guess I’ll take my punk-ass into the kitchen and make some chili. Besides soup, nothing is better than chili on a cold “Cold’s” day.

***************

“Not for the weak Chili”

1 lb of ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 small onion (I use onion powder because Raquel won’t eat onions)
1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 can of pink beans
1 teaspoon cumin
1 pack Sazon w/achiote
1 tablespoon Sofrito
To taste:
Salt (or Adobo)
Chili Powder
Black Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
Hot Sauce
And I add in 3-4 drops of Habenaro Sauce for a kick (optional – this stuff is neon green – like nuclear waste, definitely not for the weak!)

Some of the ingredients:
Photobucket

Brown the ground beef (or turkey). Drain (if necessary).
***If I use ground turkey, I add a little olive oil as it browns for a “good fat”
***If I were to use an onion, I’d dice it and brown it with the meat. Some other variations - I’ve diced up some jalapenos or chili peppers (cook up with the meat, too).

While the meat is cooking, I add in the seasoning, garlic & onion. I do this because I want it to saturate into the meat.
To taste:
Salt (or Adobo)
Chili Powder
Black Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
Hot Sauce

After the meat is drained, I add in all the tomatoes, sauce, sofrito, sazon & the beans.
More pepper, cumin, chili powder & hot sauce.
Generally I like the color of my chili to be maroon – like a brownish red – then I know I’ve added enough chili powder & cumin.
Simmer on medium low-heat with a cover – about 30 minutes. Stir frequently.

I let it sit for about 20 minutes after I turn off the heat. I usually serve it with white rice or saltines. It’s even better the day after (when the heat really settles in).
All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.