Tuesday, December 27, 2011 |

What happens in Vegas: Part II

It has been argued by me… oh, wait… wrong post.

So, I can’t actually elaborate on what Aboy and I did in Vegas – but our adventures getting there and coming home were a lot of fun. We laughed a lot. We ate too much. Most importantly, we caught up on life – after being separated for so long.

We rode through a lot of mountains. The scenery is all that!  I got some nice pics of Lake Meade and we crossed over the Hoover Dam. I definitely think we will have to go back on personal time to explore those landmarks on a more intimate level. It was breathtaking from a distance; I can just imagine how inspiring it will be, up close and personal.

Lake Meade
Photobucket

Hoover Dam
Photobucket

We had to divert our return trip. There was a monstrous blizzard (that threatened to close down parts of I-40), so we came back through the lower portions of Arizona and New Mexico via I-10. It added about 160 miles to the trip – but the peace of mind was priceless.

Photobucket

I’ve never been on I-10 either. I’m glad I got to see it with Aboy. It’s a lot like portions of I-40 with the majesty and phenomena of miles of mountains and valleys… and then there are (really, really) long stretches of… nothing.


I have to say though, the desert is not how I imagined. I didn’t see any buzzards or skeletons or tumbleweeds. If anything, there was a lot of vegetation growing along the highway. Another perception that was debunked.

Photobucket


What I did notice was a heavier police presence on I-10. Not only a lot of local sheriff and police patrols, but most notably Border Patrol.

We spent the night, on the way back - in Eloy, Arizona. Border Patrol was in and out of the truck stop all night, getting fuel and coffee. I’m not sure what to make of it – I’m kind of in limbo – because you hear the stories of ranchers getting shot by Mexican drug cartels, but this actually made it all seem “real”. I’m not really sure if I could live like that. I guess someone that’s from that area would say the same thing about us living on Redington Street in Bay Shore – I’m sure it’s all what you’re accustomed to and what is familiar.

We actually went through a checkpoint in New Mexico where a Border Patrol officer climbed up on the running boards of the rig and asked Aboy what he was hauling and if I was a co-driver (to which I replied – in my best Edith Bunker – “Oh no offisuh, I’m his wife!”).

Good thing we left the drugs and the guns at home (that is a joke).

What was really cool was I got to see Mexico when we passed through El Paso, Texas. It was literally on the other side of the fence!

Photobucket




**********

Even though we got to “see” the beauty of New Mexico and Arizona, I’m not completely removing “taking a road-trip across I-40 & I-10” off the bucket list. I think Aboy and I owe it to ourselves to be tourists and spend the night in some small towns along the ride and instead of making the trip to Vegas and back in 5 days, taking about 2 weeks to really enjoy it and experience the area.
All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.