Friday, December 23, 2011 |

When in Rome...

We’ve lived and visited a lot of places. The great thing about that is trying food that an area may be famous for.

I’ve expanded my palette to include many different cooking styles and cultural dishes. Some I like more than others. I’m still very true to my New York dishes like Baked Ziti and Italian sausage with peppers & onions – but I like the taste of cole slaw (‘slaw) on a pulled pork BBQ sandwich (NC) and chicken fajitas (TX). I still don’t put mustard on my burgers and I can’t even look at gravy and biscuits (the white gravy that looks like vomit)… I’ve tried… I can’t do it.

Since Aboy is back from New York, I have to get back on my cooking game. I can eat a sandwich for dinner, a bowl of cereal or even some salsa and chips – I’m fast, cheap and easy (probably the reason Aboy married me)… 

Aboy wants a meal. He don’t fuck around when it comes to food.

Last night I made Cheater Chicken Fajitas. It’s one of our favorites.

What you’ll need:
1 lb of boneless chicken breast – cut in slivers or chunks (whatever you prefer)
Green Peppers
Red Peppers
Yellow Peppers
Orange Peppers
1 Onion
1 Zucchini
1 Cup - Mushrooms
Adobo (or Fajita Seasoning) – to taste
(2) ¼ Cup of Worstershire Sauce (if you make the chicken separate from the veggies)
Olive Oil
1 pack of Flour Tortillas
1 lime
Salsa Verde - Green Mexican Salsa

Photobucket
**I use 2 peppers per person – I like to make it colorful, so for 4 of us – I might use 5 green peppers and 1 each of the Red, Yellow & Orange. I’ve also added in some hot peppers – or whatever might be in season.

I also like to cook the meat separate from the veggies – because sometimes I like to put the veggies over some white rice (with the juice they cook in) if I’m not in the mood for a lot of meat.

So, in a large pot (that can be covered) I put in:

2 TBSP of Olive Oil

Sliced – peppers, onions and zucchini

1 cup of sliced mushrooms

¼ cup of Worstershire Sauce

Adobo to taste (usually a couple shakes)

½ of a Lime – squeezed over the veggies (about ½ way through cooking)

I cook over a medium heat – covered, until the veggies are soft (not mushy). Stir frequently to distribute the olive oil and worstershire over the veggies.



While that is cooking, I use a deep frying pan or wok and stir fry the chicken

2 TBSP of Olive Oil

¼ cup of Worstershire sauce

Sliced Chicken – seasoned with Adobo or Salt & Pepper

½ of a Lime – squeezed over the chicken (about ½ way through cooking)

I cook over a medium heat – until it’s cooked thoroughly – but I keep an eye on it to make sure the meat is not dried out.



To serve:

We warm up the tortillas on a flat frying pan (or cheat and nuke it for 20 seconds)

Lay out the tortilla on a plate

Spoon on some Chicken & Veggies

Put some Salsa Verde over it (about a TSP)

Roll it up and eat J

OR

Serve over some rice or couscous

********

This was originally a recipe I put together while I was dieting (less the chicken and tortillas). The worstershire sauce is the “cheating” part of it –because it has some zing to it, has ZERO calories and works into the flavors of the peppers, onions, zucchini and mushrooms, nicely. This also makes a great left-over lunch for the day after!
All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.