Tuesday, February 17, 2015 |

North Carolina is Closed Today

I grew up on Long Island. I had some great times growing up and every winter I was guaranteed at least one good snow storm. You know the kind... at least 6-8 inches of snow, school was out and we got an unscheduled day off just to be a kid.

Growing up in Bay Shore was fun too because our Superintendent had a great sense of humor! We didn't know if school was called until 30 minutes before it was time to catch the bus! No sleeping in for us!

I can go back even further. I was born in a blizzard. My father was plowing JFK when my mother went into labor. My grandfather had to drive from Redington Street to Saxon Avenue to pick her up and get her to Southside. From what was conveyed to me, I waited for my father to finish before I arrived.

Speaking of... my father LOVED snow. He would wake up at 5 am to check how much snow we got so he could get bundled up and start shoveling. My father had a very analytical mind, so he would perfectly carve out the driveway so we had just enough room to park and enter / exit the vehicles. We had a 3 car driveway... he'd be outside all day! I remember how it used to frustrate the fuck out of him because we lived on the right side of a dead end block and the plow would have the dump side on our side of the street. The plow would make a pass, back up and do a second pass - only to dump all of the snow from the entire street into a nice mound across the length of our driveway.

My Father and I would go do donuts at the mall or in the Junior High parking lot. All the neighborhood kids would go play on the mounds at the Junior High...

Remember the snow storm of '78? The snow was so high, our German Shepherds were walking over the 4 foot chain link in the front yard! My father got really creative with the snow for that one!



Man, that was fun!!

Then, I took my driving test in a snow storm. Nothing gets cancelled in New York because no one wants to reschedule or make the day up. People have to get around and do what they have to because of how our lives are intertwined.

******

And here we are... in the present.

Massachusetts is getting so much snow, their Ski Resorts are closing down. Long Island is having a banner year of snow fall.

It just adds to the challenge of life in the north east, but nothing that cannot be overcome. It's almost like an adventure.

Not in North Carolina! The anticipation of snow will shut the entire state down! The Governor is urging residents to stay off the road.

The National Guard is on standby.

For this:


Yup! That's what we got yesterday. ALL of that!!

Need bread? Better bake your own!



*****

I mean, I get it. North Carolina doesn't have the snow removal capacity that they do in the north. There are ditches, two lane highways, winding roads, people that can't drive in normal conditions (add some snow... fuhgetaboutit!).

It's all good.


But, it still cracks me up!


All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.