Monday, February 9, 2015 |

Souper Sunday: Lentil Soup

I got absorbed in a looming project yesterday and all motivation for cooking was put on the shelf. I am doing Souper Sunday Monday today. Oh... and thinking about it - double win for #meatlessmonday

Delicious yumminess on the menu: Lentil Soup!

When I used to work in Bohemia, I used to buy Lentil Soup at the Deli next door to our building. I love the heartiness of it and always felt like it was so healthy. I also thought it was so hard to make. 

NOT!

I haven't had it in a few years and I am expanding our menu selections and decided I was going to make a nice big pot of it. What I don't eat, I can freeze and Aboy can take it on the road for a quick meal (or in his case, a snack). I did a calorie count look up and compared to Trader Joe's Organic Lentil Soup 1 cup has about 135 calories. Mine is much healthier though because I know exactly what was used in making it!

I found this recipe and liked it the best because it had all the ingredients I love the most!

It was even more attractive because it is a meatless meal that I can cook it in the crockpot. Nothing better than a set it and forget it meal! Another thing that made me excited about making Lentil Soup - I got to use my new Favorite Toy!!  #winning

As normal - I changed a couple of the ingredients (because that's how I do)... but, I did stick pretty close to the original recipe. I also don't usually measure my vegetables... if it calls for a cup or ounces... I just kind of make that up as I go along. I like vegetables and IMHO, more is better!

1 Onion, chopped
1/4 Cup of EVOO
Diced Carrots
Diced Celery
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Bay Leaf
1 Tsp Fresh Basil (it said dried, buy I grow basil on my window sill)
1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)  - it said crushed, but - I live dangerous
1 lb bag of dried Lentils (rinsed & drained)
8 cups of water
Spinach (LOTS of Spinach!)
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes (instead of vinegar)
Salt & Pepper to taste

I just dumped it all into the crockpot and put it on low. It will be done in 6-8 hours. 

That's it!

Below are some pictures of my new favorite toy and how it looks in the crockpot.








All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.