Saturday, September 7, 2013 |

Before the party starts...

I did a juice fast about a year and a half ago.  It's really not that hard.  My intentions were to juice for 30 days.  I made it to 15. I had to stop because I got "backed up".  Go Figure!!
 
I did lose 23 lbs.
 
Since then, I've done A LOT of research. I've joined different groups on Facebook. Read some books. Watched some more movies.  I think this time around I'm much more prepared for any "obstacles" that I incur and how I'll overcome them.
 
The thing that I will do differently this time:
  • Drink LOTS more water throughout the day
  • Mix up my juices (I've got some GREAT recipes)
  • Drink an herbal tea before bedtime
  • Exercise more
  • and did I mention... Drink A LOT more water throughout the day
 In preparation too, I started weaning off of the "can't haves" over the past few weeks.  I slowed down on consuming meat and animal products. I started removing all processed food and food like products (BTW, this is a conscious lifestyle change for me - more in a different post on that!). I also started adding more produce to my diet and have started drinking A LOT of water throughout the day.
 
My motive for this fast
  • Detox my body
  • Drop a few pounds
So, I'm sure you're saying - "but, if you slowed down on meat, removed processed food and food-like products shouldn't that be enough?"... Well, kinda.  I do feel much better!  What's weird - I'm not really losing a lot of weight. I am slimmer though. Aboy said I'm "deflating". I think with the addition of some of the good things and the reduction in some of the harmful things - any "inflammation" has been reduced and my body is starting to repair itself. HOWEVER, I feel like some of the toxins are still inside my body (I am recently recovering from walking pneumonia & sinusitis)... so, a Juice Fast will really cleanse me down to my cells and give my body a chance to recuperate and heal itself.
 
Plus, it won't hurt to drop a few pounds either.
 
I will keep a "diary" of my progress. I'll post some of the different juices that I use. Plus, if you have any questions - feel free to ask.  You guys already know - anything I do... I do it whole-heartedly - so, I will do my best to find answers if I don't know them off the top of my head.
 
Staples for my juice fast are
  • Green Apples (Granny Smiths)
  • Ginger
  • Cucumbers
  • Celery
  • Kale
At least 2 of my "meals" per day will have all of those ingredients.  I like to add things in like broccoli, spinach, chard and other leafy greens.  I will also be juicing with root vegetables (beets, turnips, carrots).  
 
I try to stay aware of calorie intake. Fruits tend to be higher in calories than vegetables - so, my fruit juices I usually limit to breakfast and maybe a small "snack".
 
 photo 2013-09-07_08-38-27_586_zps6e542bcb.jpg

Depending on how "hungry" I am - I will drink between 3-5 juices per day. You'd be amazed at how full you feel after drinking an extra-large glass of green juice! It's pure nutrients and your body starts losing the cravings for things you don't need.
 
******************************************************
 
A Juice Fast is not for the weak. It takes a lot of commitment, determination and will-power. This is not something that you can just jump into. Another thing that can hurt you is if you don't wean yourself back onto solid foods - you can really do damage. Think about your stomach - it hasn't had to chew food for a couple weeks... then you jump into a 6 ounce rib-eye - that could wreak havoc on your digestive system.  As I draw closer to the end, I'll share with you how I prepare to transition back to solid food and how I was able to keep almost all of that 23 pounds off from the first time. 

All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.