Sunday, September 22, 2013 |

My Cadillac

It's a beautiful day today. We had a huge storm come through on Thursday and it broke the heat and humidity. We've been going down in the high 50's the past 2 nights. I've turned off the A/C and opened all the windows. I love weather like this.

Sunday mornings around Denton are generally a ghost town. The crisp air in our bedroom this morning made me want to go for a bike ride.


After 9am, when the church crowd starts moving around - it can get hectic... but, Denton is a college town. Not too many college kids can wake up for class - let alone church. If you stay off the main roads - it's really a nice peaceful way of touring, without looking like you're casing the neighborhood. Even some of the main roads have bike lanes - it's a bike friendly town.

Let me give you a little history on my bike.


In 2008, when we were talking about following Raquel to Texas to watch her play basketball - Aboy and I would have conversations like, "when we get there - we can buy his and her motorcycles, this way when it's not basketball season - we can take long rides and enjoy the scenery".

HA! That never happened!

So, meet my Harley (or Honda, Kawasaki, etc...)

 photo 2013-09-22_08-58-04_217_zps4d2d281f.jpg

She's the best we could do. Turns out - life was just as hectic in Texas as it's been every where else we've lived! Work, the kids, life in general... not much time for us to make the time and money investment in motorcycles...


But, that's OK. Owning a motorcycle (for me, anyway) is on the bucket list. I'll be 60 years old - chilling on a Honda Shadow, going to the grocery store (don't forget the knapsack on my back - holding my coupons!).

Well, as I live in the present, we did end up picking up 2 beach cruisers in 2009 when we first moved here. We were living in Grand Prairie at the time. I was carless for a while and would take my beach cruiser to the post office, the grocery store and the convenience store. I felt like I was 13 years old again!


I call her my Cadillac now because she sits in the garage and only comes out for a tour on nice days.

Over the past few years - Aboy would ask, "Do you want to get rid of the bikes? It's not like we ride them" and I'd always say no. We had a garage sale last year and had them on the front lawn so we could get things out of the garage and you wouldn't believe how many people wanted to buy them.

For days like today - is the reason I say no.

Look at some of my great (corny-ass) features!


The basket and rack:
(what's the point of riding to the store if I have no way of carrying anything back!)

 photo 2013-09-22_09-43-13_803_zps7edd6d96.jpg

 photo 2013-09-22_09-43-46_922_zpsfdfefa1d.jpg

My seat:
(a little wide with gel cushion)

 photo 2013-09-22_09-43-37_759_zps164b4d21.jpg

And most important - My bell:
(which I use when I pass other cyclists and pedestrians)


 photo 2013-09-22_09-44-09_222_zps297375e4.jpg

It also boasts white wall tires, a chain guard and a kick stand - all standard, of course. There are no gears and the brakes are the kind that you have to push back with the pedals. We went old school!

I have to admit - I feel like Miss Gulch when I ride the damn thing...




 
I grew up in the 70's. We didn't have shit like helmuts, elbow pads or knee pads (sometimes, my bike didn't even have brakes!).

If you're in your 40's and you don't own a bike, you should get one! You can find one for under $100 and it's a great way to stay young!
 
All rights reserved. Copyright: All material used in this blog is owned by LITerrific 2011-2019. Powered by Blogger.